The BIG GAME is on this weekend and you really need a recipe that will thrill you crowd as much as the game? BBQ Bacon Meatball Stuffed Onions is more than just a meatball cooked on the grill. The meatball is stuffed into a hollowed out onion, wrapped in bacon, cooked on the grill for about 2 hours and right before they are done, covered with cheese. I can feel my arteries hardening as I type this and it was only luck that I had a napkin handy for the drooling!
My Hubby is the grill master of the house and neighborhood. I can’t wait to see how well these go over!
There is only one thing that I am going to suggest to Hubby but I know he will agree. Personally, I think if you stuffed some cheese in the middle of the meatball and then continued with the recipe, it would be a yummy addition!
All it would take is some string mozzarella cheese and stuff into the middle of the meatball and off you go…
I HIGHLY recommend using string cheese! The string cheese will hold up to being cooked for longer periods of time without melting before the meatball is done.
Enjoy and let us know how yours turned out and any changes you made…
THE INGREDIENTS YOU’LL NEED:
- Bacon — 1 Pound, regular cut
- Ground chuck — 2 Pound
- Sweet onion — 6 Large, cored, leftover reserved
- Spg seasoning/Seasoning — To Taste
- Barbecue sauce — 2 Tablespoon
- Grated mozzarella cheese — 2 Tablespoon
- Pickled jalapeno — 2
1. Preheat grill.
2. To the ground chuck, add some of the reserved onion leftover, seasoning, mix well. Form into balls, stuff the balls inside the onion. Wrap the onions with bacon slices.
3. Place the onions over grill at a region of indirect heat, cover, cook at 250 – 275F for a couple of hours. When just about to be done, brush some of the onions with barbecue sauce. Grill for another 10 minutes.
4. Place jalapeno pickles on some of the onions and top each onion with cheese, grill until the cheese melts.
5. Serve with your choice of dip.