School will be getting out for the summer soon and you will need these Apple Pie Cookies! Kids, big and small, will enjoy these awesome homemade cookies! Make them really special by adding some ice cream and caramel sauce.
They will fly off the plate and you family will love them.
Below is the video on how to make them with the full directions following….
– 2-3 Granny Smith apples – you’ll need 4 cups of peeled, cored & ¼ inch diced apples
– 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
– 1 tsp apple pie spice
– 1/2 tsp cinnamon
– 2 Tbsp butter
– 1 Tbsp corn starch
– 1 box pie crust (has 2 crusts in it)
– egg wash (1 egg, beaten with a splash of cream)
1. Preheat the oven to 375 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the diced apples, apple pie spice, cinnamon and cornstarch. Cook about 3-5 minutes so the apples start to soften and the cornstarch thickens the sauce. Once the apples are almost tender, remove from the heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Unroll one of the pie crusts and using a rolling pin, roll it out about 1/2 inch larger in diameter. The reason I rolled the first crust larger is because it will be the top crust that needs to enclose the filling completely. Rolling it slightly bigger than the bottom crust will ensure you can seal the dough without stretching it too much and tearing a hole in the dough.
4. Unroll the second crust, then spoon on a tablespoon of the apple filling. Repeat around the whole crust, leaving enough space to seal and cut around each mound of filling. You should be able to fit 10 mounds of filling.
5.Brush the egg wash around the filling and out to the edges using a pastry brush.
6. Place the larger crust over top and gently press down between the mounds of filling.
7. Cut around each of the mounds of filling with a 2 ½ or 3 inch round cutter (I used one with fluted edges because it was pretty, not because it was necessary).
8. Lift up each apple pie cookie and place on the lined baking sheet. Press to completely seal the edges on each one, then crimp the edges with a fork.
9. Brush the tops with the egg wash, then cut slits in the top of each crust for steam to escape.
10. Bake 15-18 minutes, until golden brown.